|At the Half Note Cafe|
|Live album by |
|Recorded||November 11, 1960|
|Length||121:26 (Double CD reissue)|
|Donald Byrd chronology|
|Byrd in Flight|
|At the Half Note Cafe|
|Motor City Scene|
- Seasoned & scrambled organic tofu, red potatoes, spiced black bean puree, sweet grilled onions, pico de gallo, green salsa, cilantro cream sauce & avocado.
- Wild Note Cafe (877) 585-1085. We make ordering easy. Menu; Opening Acts. Charbroiled Edamame $6.00 With Japanese 7 spice. Mediterranean Platter $12.00.
Pictured is our most Famous Benny Avocado, the best ingredients put together in one. We have several other options for breakfast such as the Keto Egg Stack, Savory Crepe, Keto Scramble, & a few Lunch Sandwiches!
At the Half Note Cafe is a live album by American trumpeter Donald Byrd recorded in 1960 at the Half Note in Manhattan and released on the Blue Note label originally as two single LP issues (BLP 4060 and BLP 4061) and reissued as a double CD set.
The Allmusic review by Thom Jurek awarded the album 4½ stars and stated 'This was a hot quintet, one that not only swung hard, but possessed a deep lyricism and an astonishing sense of timing, and one need only this set by them to feel the full measure of their worth'.The Penguin Guide to Jazz wrote that the sessions were 'impeccable played and atmospherically recorded, but they tend to show off the best and worst of Byrd: [...] he peels off chorus after chorus of manicured licks, and the process gets repeated throughout'.
|The Penguin Guide to Jazz|||
- All compositions by Donald Byrd except as indicated
- Introduction by Ruth Mason - 1:20
- 'My Girl Shirl' (Duke Pearson) - 10:32
- 'Soulful Kiddy' - 9:55
- 'Child's Play' (Byrd, Pearson) - 8:45
- 'Chant' (Pearson) - 11:03
- 'A Portrait of Jennie' (Gordon Burdge, J. Russel Robinson) 6:48
- 'Cecile' - 14:46
- 'Jeannine' (Oscar Brown, Jr., Pearson) - 13:08
- 'Pure D. Funk' - 6:09
- 'Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea' (Harold Arlen, Ted Koehler) - 9:54
- 'Theme from Mr. Lucky' (Henry Mancini) - 10:51
- 'Kimyas' - 11:58
- 'When Sunny Gets Blue' (Marvin Fisher, Jack Segal) - 6:17
- Recorded at the Half Note Cafe, NY on November 11, 1960.
Note Cafe Bethel Ct
- Donald Byrd - trumpet
- Pepper Adams - baritone saxophone except track 6
- Duke Pearson - piano
- Laymon Jackson - bass
- Lex Humphries - drums
- ^Donald Byrd discography accessed August 31, 2010
- ^ abJurek, T. Allmusic Review accessed January 4, 2013
- ^ abCook, Richard; Morton, Brian (1992). The Penguin Guide to Jazz on CD, LP & Cassette (1st ed.). Penguin. p. 171. ISBN978-0-14-015364-4.
Retrieved from 'https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=At_the_Half_Note_Cafe&oldid=1005671582'
Wednesday, May 13 The Big Note Cafe bid WCWPa fond farewell for the foreseeable future and has trimmed its sails for new adventures. Not being quick to make too many claims for the future before the fruit of it is at hand, I will continue to post a (more or less) weekly playlist-turned-pick-list through my Spotify account and (somewhat more regularly) at the Facebook page to continue to bring you an eclectic mash-up of modern jazz, Chicago blues, world music, the classical avant-guarde, made SPICEY with dollops of R&B of all sizes, shapes and flavors and doses of the neglected and otherwise classic gems of rock n' roll.
AND in keeping with the full Big Note Cafe experience I will endeavor to continue to post recommended articles at The Orwell Report (see menu bar) to help you stay mindful of important developments in these post-Edward Snowden United Surveillance States of America.
Your comments, suggestions and correspondence will continue to be always welcome at[email protected](note I am back to favoring the G-mail account.)
'Take a load off, put your feet up, and get your ears on!'